Most frequently asked questions.

Most frequently asked questions.

I thought it would be a good idea to talk about the most frequent questions that we get asked. We do have an FAQ page our site.  However, written in a blog format may help some find what they are looking for in a different way.

Here we will address the questions and their answers. These will be general, as many people will have something particular about their specific situation.


Which stove should I buy?

This will depend on the following factors; square footage, height of your ceilings, how well your space is insulated, and if the stove will be used in winter or just spring and fall. Let’s start with seasons. Generally, if used in winter, it’s likely that the Grizzly would be the stove for you. If not, then the Cub should be just fine.  However, if you had less than 100 square feet to heat during the winter the Cub should do it, unless the space is poorly insulated or not at all.  If, for example, you had 150 square feet, but the ceilings were high, then a Grizzly would also be a better choice in order to compensate for the extra volume.  If your space is over 200 square feet and under 400 square feet, I would always suggest the Grizzly.  So it is combination of these factors that will determine which stove will best suit your needs.


What do I need for a complete install?

This is a tricky question to answer. The items needed for a complete install will be different depending on the requirements of your space. 

After determining which stove is best for you (talked about above), you will need a mounting option: either wall mounted, floor mounted or with your own setup that respects the clearances. For wall mounts, we have 3 different models: the standard, the sliding tray, and the fresh air intake. (Please note that these links are for the Grizzly and that Cub would use the wall mounts unique to it).

The standard simply shields your wall against the heat of the stove and provides 37" of flue pipe shielding. The sliding tray is pulled out to catch any wood, embers or ash that may fall out when cleaning or refilling the fire box. And the fresh air intake will allow you to replace the oxygen consumed by the stove without needing to open a window.


The next thing to consider is extra shielding. The stove requires a minimum 20” clearance to combustibles in all directions. In other words, if there is a combustible surface within 20" of your stove in any direction, that surface would have to be shielded. For this purpose, I would recommend using our side shields. Your flue piping will also need to be shielded if it is within 9" of any combustible surface. The wall mount offers 37” of flue pipe shielding. For any flue piping that is not covered by the wall mount, you can use our flue shield extensions, each of which provides 30" of added shielding. Proper shielding will reduce the clearance for both the stove and piping down to 3”.

(Please note that the above links are for the Grizzly and that Cub would use the side shields and flue shield extensions unique to it)


The next step would be to calculate the amount of pipe needed. You will need enough piping to go from the top of your stove to one foot beyond the highest point of your roof. Our pipes come in either 24” or 12" sections. The best way to determine how many sections of pipe you need would be to use our Pipe Calculation page.


Lastly, you will need to exit the piping through your roof using one of our Roof Exit Kits. If your roof is shingled, you would use our Shingled Roof Exit Kit. For any other roof type, you would use our Metal Roof Exit Kit. On the occasion that your roof is angled at 40 degrees our more, you would need a different kind of rubber boot than the ones we provide. Please contact us if this is the case and we will point you in the right direction.


This is the bulk of items needed for a complete install. Other than that, you may want some of our accessories. These include the mini tool kit, which makes it easy to manipulate the wood and scoop out the ash, the mini roaster, which allows you to cook on your Grizzly stove like an oven, and the EcoFan, which will help move the hot air farther away from the stove. The EcoFan is especially useful for longer areas like full-sized school buses, where it will help move the heat to the other end of the bus, for example.


Where do I get the pipes from?

I would get the pipe from us. Most, if not, all 3” double wall flue pipes are made for pellet stoves and not wood stoves. Wood stoves burn hotter than pellet stoves. It is for this reason that we make our own pipes for our stove. They can be found right here


How much does shipping cost?  

Shipping will depend on what is ordered, and where it is being shipped to. The best way to get a price is to add the desired items to your cart and enter your shipping address at checkout to get a shipping charge. This can all be done with no obligation to buy.


Why does the price jump in the cart compared to lower costs in the store? That is because we display the prices in your currency in our store (USD, Euros, or British pounds) which is what you would see on your statement. When you go to check out, we display the prices in Canadian dollars because that is the currency we use for our transactions. Since your currency is worth more, you will see a price difference, but it will be the same exact value. Please note that at the bottom of each page it says: 'payments are made in Canadian dollars', and where it displays the total on the left, it will say 'CAD'.


What type of fuel can I use?

The best fuel to burn is a well-seasoned hard wood.  These burn hot, clean and longer than soft woods. You can also use pressed logs. They are convenient, emit a lot of heat, and last for a while.  Coal also works but not as well as solid wood or pressed logs. Do not use pellets, which require a pellet stove.


If you have any questions that were not addressed here, you can send us an e-mail and we will be glad to help.

Back to blog